[geeks] baby stuff

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Sat Jun 29 14:41:16 CDT 2002

Now that my oldest has her own Big_Girl_Bed it is kind of interesting.
The first night I explained to her that now she had a bed she could get
in or out of at will, I didn't care how long she stayed up in her room,
as long as she was in bed when she fell asleep. I don't think she has
ever gotten out of bed after we tuck her in.

On the other hand, my rules at nap time are stricter, I don't care what
she does/plays with, as long as she does stay on the bed, and now I
sneak up on her about every 5 minutes, because she doesn't respect that
rule.  She is learning though, 'cause after about three caught out of
beds I help her put all her toys away and she has to lay down without
toys after that.

I am starting to wonder though, since my aim is to be a fairly strict
parent, at least compared to a lot of what I see, how does a parent
maintain a facade of seriousness when the kids figure out such
funny/cute/ridiculous ways to test the limits?  I'm pretty good at
keeping a straight face, but my wife just loses it.  It kind of damages
a two minute time out when the enforcer is laughing about the
infraction.

Tim