[geeks] combatting smokers

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Tue Jun 18 21:45:39 CDT 2002

>> moving is easier than asking the management to put a filter in the
>> ventilation system?
>
> Yes. Likely they wouldn't do it--chances are you've already got a filter
> in your kitchen vent system. They won't spring for the cash to buy you a
> purifying system for your vents..it's too easy to replace you as a
> tenant
> instead.

turns out there arent filters in the vents. gauze or otherwise.

>> easier than buying a hepa air cleaner?
>
> Certainly not easier, but in the long run, probably cheaper and more
> effective. Hepa filters only do so much good, and they're large and
> bulky.

i was thinking (per Michael's suggestion) of getting one of those active
filters. not placed above the stove, but placed in the kitchen.

> Cry me a river, Alex.  I guarantee you I've got more hardware that gets
> moved around on a daily basis in my den than you have crammed into your
> entire apt.

i dont have to 'cram' anything into my apartment.

> You asked for suggestions..if you don't like them or aren't willing to
> listen to 'em, don't ask to begin with.

i like the suggestions you've got. i'm just trying to make some
productive gains from this conversation. i think some good suggestions
have been made, and i've been talking to a friend who believes there is
legal recourse here, and has sent me urls relating to the arlington
county code. i'm going to do some reading tonight and at work tomorrow.
i'll be sure to follow up.

alex