[geeks] combatting smokers

Rob rstaab at panix.com
Tue Jun 18 00:01:51 CDT 2002

> a smoker has apparently moved in next door to us (i live in a huge
> apartment building), replacing our very nice and non smoking neighbor. i
> guess this also explains the thumping music at 12am and 7am recently as
> well. when they smoke, it makes my kitchen reek of cigarette smoke. the
> building has ventilation to keep the kitchens ventilated (we have gas
> stoves). this wouldnt be tolerated in a restaurant, does anyone know if
> it is illegal (or anything i can force the management to "fix") in a
> residential building? i know it wouldnt even be tolerated in an office
> building.

How you considered talking to the tenant? Perhaps an arrangement can be
reached. (doubtful)

Is there somewhere near the kitchen vent that you can install a filter?

In my experience, complaining about other tenants unless there's breaking
some hard and fast rule of the apartment complex is worthless.

What does the music have to do with the fact that they smoke, or is this
just an assumption since they moved in and the music started?

- Rob