[geeks] Glad I don't live in Texas!

kamakazi kamakazi at pellucidar.net
Thu Jun 13 09:34:51 CDT 2002

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002 20:13:44 -0500 (CDT)
Eric Dittman <dittman at dittman.net> wrote:

> I say him as I've never seen a female executive do this.  I'm
> not saying they haven't/wouldn't, just that I've never seen
> them do that.

That brings up an interesting point.  There seems to be a benefit of the
glass ceiling (please, no flames, I am all for equal treatment of women)
for those who work under women executives.  My theory is that the women
who manage to get above low level exec positions are really the best of
the best, because, unfortunately, given a man and a woman with equal
qualifications, most often the man gets the job. (in fact, many times a
less qualified man will get the job)  This is based on the fact that the
few times I have had women in positions over me they have been good
reliable bosses, I can't say the same for bunches of the male bosses I
have had. Of course I have also worked with women who would have made
lousy bosses, but they never got to be bosses.  My last boss actually
got the boss job because he was a lousy technician, so they promoted him
to boss of technicians.  There is logic for you.

Maybe we could get rid of the glass ceiling, and replace it with actual
standards?

Tim