[geeks] OT: cat

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Fri Jan 18 11:29:09 CST 2002

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 11:02:37AM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   It's a terrible procedure.  For the record, I didn't do this to
> Ophelia.  Her previous owners did.  Actually, she still has her claws,
> but they had her claw tendons cut so she can't "extend" them.  It's
> supposed to be more "humane".  Yeah, right.
>   But actually, it's even worse than that.  Their claws are their
> primary weapon, and when they're gone, the cat KNOWS it.  Ophelia
> knows she's nearly defenseless, and knows she'd lose bigtime in a
> fight...so she's got very little confidence around strange people or
> things, and is very skittish and defensive.

We're lucky enough to have cats that *know better* than to use claws
on us - well, kitten clawed the hell out of me once, but she was going
*over* me to get away from the dog, it wasnt intentional. 8-)

Siffy, on the other hand, might hiss and spit at us, but has *never*
extended claws at us, at all.  She simply knows that we're the people
who provide the food and water and warmth at night, and if she misbehaves
she'll get put in the shower for five minutes (and it works, thats for
sure..)

Bill

--
Bill Bradford