[geeks] OT: cat

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Jan 18 10:13:45 CST 2002

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 11:02:37AM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:

> > I just use a finger nail clippers to keep the claws short.
>
>   That's the best thing, but you have to be very careful...there's a
> blood vessel in every claw that extends fairly far into the claw.  If
> you cut the claw too short, the bleeding is difficult to stop, and
> worse, it's quite painful for the cat.

Once when flee bombing the house (before Advantage), my cat went to a groomer
for a flee dip.  He came back with hives and every single claw bleeding. I
was bloody pissed.  I hope my dad yelled at them (I was much younger then and
Dad was the one who picked the cat up) for it.

We also left the dog at a kennel once when we went on vacation.  During the
single hottest day of the year, they locked all the dogs outside with no
shade.  My sisters dog has a very dark coat and acted extremely sick when we
picked him up.  Could barely get him to drink.  Spent quite some time rinsing
the dog down with cool water before he would start acting alert.

Lessons learned?  Be very careful who you leave your pets with.  For the cat
we usually go with the plan of leaving him home and asking a cat loving friend
to check in on him once a day.  For the dog we found a better kennel.  He
seems to really like it.  At least, he acts eager to go to it every time (and
he also seems eager to see us pick him up).

--
Joshua D. Boyd