[geeks] Powerbooks

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Jan 16 10:48:57 CST 2002

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 11:35:41AM -0500, Big Endian wrote:
> >What sort of prices should be reasonable for low end powerbooks like 1400c
> >and
> >5300c models?  Most sellers seem to want $200+ for these in less than ideal
> >configurations (like missing floppies and cdroms and batteries and ac
> >adaptersm and combinations of these items), but people don't seem to being
> >buying them at those prices.
>
> I bought my 1400C/166/48mb/2gb/cdrom/floppy/1batt/ac/PCMCIA
> modem/ethernet combo for $800 about 3 years ago... so $4-500?  Not a
> bad machine.

So maybe $200 is fair for a machine that is going to require buying a bunch of
extra parts.  Other buyers don't really seem to keen on the idea though.

> >Any other models that should be considered?  I mainly just want emacs,
> >perhaps
> >SCM and/or MCL, and Word on it, along with an ethernet port and a web
> >browser.  This is to replace my 486 notebook with only 8 megs of ram
> >running
> >windows 95 (because Linux refuses to work with it).
>
> I've never used emacs on a mac, SCM? MCL?  1400s require PCMCIA ethernet.
>
> if if fits your budget you might look at a low end wallstreet like this:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1320944977

Well, I don't know what my budget is.  In large part that depends on how much
books end up costing.  I'm fairly sure that this machine isn't going to
actually sell for $300.  More like $400-$500 is my guess, which is certainly
out of my budget since my book budget is $500 with room for another $100 if
need be.  Looks very nice though.  Certainly has a lot of features that I
don't really need.  For what I need, a maxed out 540c is good enough, although
I suspect that I'd really regret the lack of coprocessor.

BTW, has any used the 1400cs machines?  I don't think I really want a color
passive screen, but I keep hearing these are far superior to the average
passive screen.  Any comments?

--
Joshua D. Boyd