[geeks] Powerbooks

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Wed Jan 16 10:57:09 CST 2002

>So maybe $200 is fair for a machine that is going to require buying a bunch of
>extra parts.  Other buyers don't really seem to keen on the idea though.

probably.  The 1400s are *NICE* machines, built like a tank, easy to
open up and replace anything that might fail (usually due to
*EXTREME* abuse).

What SCM and MCL?

>Well, I don't know what my budget is.  In large part that depends on how much
>books end up costing.  I'm fairly sure that this machine isn't going to
>actually sell for $300.  More like $400-$500 is my guess, which is certainly
>out of my budget since my book budget is $500 with room for another $100 if
>need be.  Looks very nice though.  Certainly has a lot of features that I
>don't really need.  For what I need, a maxed out 540c is good enough, although
>I suspect that I'd really regret the lack of coprocessor.

A 540C is a little old to run anything but 3.x browsers (newer ones
require a PPC usually)  They do have PPC 540cs but they are hard to
come by.

>BTW, has any used the 1400cs machines?  I don't think I really want a color
>passive screen, but I keep hearing these are far superior to the average
>passive screen.  Any comments?

I've used passive powerbook screens before and they weren't that bad
(270c)  and I can only assume that they got better by the time the
1400 came out.

daniel