[geeks] Powerbooks

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Wed Jan 16 10:35:41 CST 2002

>What sort of prices should be reasonable for low end powerbooks like 1400c and
>5300c models?  Most sellers seem to want $200+ for these in less than ideal
>configurations (like missing floppies and cdroms and batteries and ac
>adaptersm and combinations of these items), but people don't seem to being
>buying them at those prices.

I bought my 1400C/166/48mb/2gb/cdrom/floppy/1batt/ac/PCMCIA
modem/ethernet combo for $800 about 3 years ago... so $4-500?  Not a
bad machine.

>Any other models that should be considered?  I mainly just want emacs, perhaps
>SCM and/or MCL, and Word on it, along with an ethernet port and a web
>browser.  This is to replace my 486 notebook with only 8 megs of ram running
>windows 95 (because Linux refuses to work with it).

I've never used emacs on a mac, SCM? MCL?  1400s require PCMCIA ethernet.

>I don't know if I really should do this, but I have a bunch of classes this
>semester where I expect that it would be really handy to have a
>usable notebook
>again and probably the easiest way to justify it is to lump it in with my
>impending book purchases.

if if fits your budget you might look at a low end wallstreet like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1320944977

daniel