[geeks] valuation on a sparc 2 / ss10?

doctor obnox son of a bitch drobnox at visi.com
Mon Jan 14 12:57:21 CST 2002

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 11:45:54AM -0600, Josh Mast had the audacity to opine:
> On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 07:00:50PM -0500, Ryn wrote:
> > How many machines do most people keep running in there house? I Think running
> > three
> > machines around the clock is bad.
>
>  Normally? Something like five. The windows machine, Indy for an X enviroment,
> ss5 for email/everything else, dual p100 for web monkeying (perl/php/sql), and
> my 486 as a router. I'd probably power on a few more things, but I'm well on my
> way to running out of electrical outlets and network jacks. Which is going to get
> even worse when I have to go up to NY this week to fetch some AV macs.
>
> -Josh

Just 3 for me.

SS5 w/NetBSD for web and email,

Homebrew Cyrix p150+ FreeBSD box w/ 3 NICs as firewall/router

eMachines 333 AMD POS in living room for th'wyfe's windoze "needs" (w/
cygwin so's I can ssh to the BSD boxen, and otherwise to NIXish things)

http://www.visi.com/~drobnox/pix/thesetup.jpg

--

                            "Safety Third!"

Eric J. Gustafson                                   drobnox at visi.com