[geeks] home equipment inventories

Ken Hansen n2vip at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 07:10:46 CST 2002

On Tuesday, January 8, 2002, at 11:53 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> In any case, the agent (Liberty Mutual *KICKS ASS* btw) asked what I
> had, I told her, and she said that they were covered for replacement
> value under our "personal possessions" coverage, which is about $85K.

Bill,

I had a friend lose *everything* in a house fire (set by teens who had a
weekend party in her house, then set it on fire on the way out. the
house was a complete loss. You'd be suprised at what you really have,
and what it would cost.

For example, what would it cost to replace *all* your underwear, all
your pants & shirts, jackets, and shoes? Even with a simple wardrobe,
you could burn through $2K in no time (do you want to go without shoes
for two weeks waiting for a sale on shoes?)...

My point, simply, is that you are not massively over-insured, you sound
like you have the right amount of insurance. You'd be amazed at what
insurance does and does not cover when faced with a huge loss.

You should, in my opinion, choose an insurance company based on how they
treat claimants, not on their rate alone...

Anyway, that's enough on that topic.

>> If it is "not an official company/organization" how can you prove that?
>> I am not trying to be argumentative, but honestly if it comes down to
>> your word against the investigators findings (you list it on your
>> resume, etc.), the guy with the checkbook may not agree with you... You
>> may want to define exactly what sunhelp.org is, so there will be no
>> question...
>
> "A web site I run as a hobby".  But, like I said, the SunHELP stuff is
> sitting downtown, and wouldnt be affected by any happenings at the
> house.

I don't need it defined, but you might want to establish it as a legal
entity, since if it is not defined, it's losses/liabilities would fall
to you personally I suspect (But, IANAL)...

Ken

n2vip at yahoo.com
n2vip at mac.com
Looking for something, try browsing