[geeks] computer room gallery 8-)

Rick Hamell geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Jan 6 20:47:37 CST 2002

> I used to work for a satellite broadband provider.  If you use satellite
> one way and phone the other, it is bearable, but obviously you won't be
> able to serve anything.  If you opt for satellite both ways then latency
> is *horrid*.  It makes ssh, for example, really painful to use.
>
> Could you use packet radio (don't know the bandwidth achievable), or a
> point-to-point terrestrial microwave link?

	Packet radio is limited to about 14.4 in speed. Unless you're
willing to run into the 8ghz area. But you need a licence to do
that. You'll also need to find (usually,) another Ham operator who's
willing to run as your gateway. Lag isn't that bad though... :)
	I use to work for an ISP. Our connection was a T-1 running across
900mhz yaggies and early version Wavelan cards. Since it's all line of
sight we had what we called the transfer point on top of a local hill
which was essentially two more that just passed data back and forth. Lag
wasn't too terribly bad, even snow didn't seem to hurt the latency too
much. It was 6 miles from our place to the hill, then 8 miles from there
to the provider.

	Rick