[geeks] computer room gallery 8-)

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Jan 6 09:28:46 CST 2002

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 12:29:24AM -0800, Nina Bersamina wrote:
> Ugh I have an entire downstairs, 2 bdrms and a studio,
> too bad I am in the jungle and can't get anything
> faster than dialup.
>
> Satellite is a possibility, anyone have any opinions
> on it??

I used to work for a satellite broadband provider.  If you use satellite
one way and phone the other, it is bearable, but obviously you won't be
able to serve anything.  If you opt for satellite both ways then latency
is *horrid*.  It makes ssh, for example, really painful to use.

Could you use packet radio (don't know the bandwidth achievable), or a
point-to-point terrestrial microwave link?

   Educating this luser would be something to frustrate even the
   unflappable Yoda and make him jam a lightsaber up his arse
   while screaming "praise evil, the Dark Side is your friend!".
                              -- Derek Balling, in the Monastery