[geeks] computer room gallery 8-)

Kris Kirby geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Jan 6 21:01:45 CST 2002

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Rick Hamell wrote:
> 	Packet radio is limited to about 14.4 in speed. Unless you're
> willing to run into the 8ghz area. But you need a licence to do
> that. You'll also need to find (usually,) another Ham operator who's
> willing to run as your gateway. Lag isn't that bad though... :)

Huh? I've seen ham Packet equipment that passed 56K -- could be run
cross-band (or through duplexers) for full duplex. The WA4DSY modem could
be pushed to 256K, IIRC, with a few part changes.

> 	I use to work for an ISP. Our connection was a T-1 running across
> 900mhz yaggies and early version Wavelan cards.

One of my friends started an ISP locally using some of the first 2.4GHz
equipment availible. It was actually 900MHz gear with a transverter at the
feedpoint. $20k per end at the time, (1) E1 wide.

>  Since it's all line of
> sight we had what we called the transfer point on top of a local hill
> which was essentially two more that just passed data back and forth. Lag
> wasn't too terribly bad, even snow didn't seem to hurt the latency too
> much. It was 6 miles from our place to the hill, then 8 miles from there
> to the provider.

The above mentioned shot was 14 miles! and went down in only the heaviest
rain.

-----