[geeks] computer room gallery 8-)

Kurt Huhn geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat Jan 5 22:14:02 CST 2002

> I Pergo'd the dining room when we moved in. Now, two years later, I
> despise it. All the seams have opened up just ever so slightly, and it
> looks like crap. The edges have started blistering from the mopwater,
> and there are more than a couple of chips in the veneer.

I Pergo'd the front living room right after we moved in also - 2.5 yrs ago.
and it still looks as good as when I put it down.  Even with two kids riding
their tricycles across it all day, dropping stuff, and me tracking in dirt
because I can't bear to be without some sort of shodding on my feet all
times.

It is absolutely imperative that you follow the installation directions to
the letter.  No deviation.  None.  Otherwise, it *will* break.  Also - no
mopping.  Ever.  Never.  It is, after all, fiberboard with a laminate.  It
*will* break.

My floor is even a "high-risk" floor - concrete slab with radiant floor
heat.  This is the type of floor that Pergo warns against, but will still
honor the warranty.

I think the sum of your problem is/was the mopping.  That's a big no-no when
it comes to laminate flooring.  Even if the manufacturer tells you it's okay
to lightly mop with a damp mop - *don't do it*.  If water get's in there
(even just a little), you're screwed, and the floor *will* break.  Pergo
sells a spray-on cleaner that you mist on to the floor, and wipe up.  It
won't harm the floor, and it cleans without water.

> All-in-all, it blows. It only looks as good as the showroom for a month
> or so.

Mine still looks that good.  I couldn't be happier.  In fact we're going to
be doing all three bedrooms in Pergo this winter.  Should only take a day
per room - perhaps less, since they're mostly square.  I might even be able
to do both of the kids rooms in one day.

I even have a 20 year warranty....

> I'll be ripping it out and refinishing the hardwood underneath this
> spring. Personally, I'd rather put in new hardwood from scratch next
> time than do Pergo again.

Gosh.  Odd how two folks can have totally different experiences with
something....

Kurt