[geeks] worst part of the job?

Kris Kirby geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jan 3 20:42:57 CST 2002

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> Evacuate: Gas leak in old building.  Best comment on me running arounf
> and removing people was: "Gee, you move fast for a large man." :-)
> -Pete

Gee, I've BTDT as well. I didn't remove anyone -- I was first to notice a
problem when I heard a strange sound from the newly-moved into server room
-- the UPS's alarms, indicating power had been cut.

$DORK next door turned every knob and flipped every lever he could locate
on the outside of the building. He attempted to turn off our sprinklers
until my ex-boss (Wargo's size, apparently) asked him what the fsck he
thought he was doing.

Even did this cute little spiderman impression for us -- scaling a 6'
barb-wire tipped utility fence in an effort to turn off the gas.

You know you're in the wrong building when a call for a gas leak brings
the same number and type of engines for a three-alarm fire. Even the 100FT
ladder truck...

-----