[geeks] worst part of the job?

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jan 3 21:43:28 CST 2002

On Thursday, January 3, 2002, at 07:43 PM, Peter L. Wargo wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 2, 2002, at 11:44 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 08:43:41PM -0800, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
>>> I have also, in my various roles had to;
>>> - go after a telephone abuser
>>
>> Ooh, details!
>
> Telephone abuser was coming in on weekends to call his girlfriend who
> had moved to Japan.  I got suspicious when I came by work on a
> Saturday, and he was there on the phone.  He didn't strike me as the
> dedicated type.  Many kilobucks, and they let him pay it back.  I would
> canned his ass, he knew what he was doing...

Heh, old consulting company I worked for had two interesting stories:

#1 - Fellow called 976- sex lines from the office, and billed the client
for the time. When it was discovered, he was able to stay in the
position, but had to pay back the time/phone charges. It was in the
thousands, as was his "missed" billable hours (wonder which was more per
hour, the 976- lines or the consultant fees ;^)

#2 - Fellow hired as VP for same consulting company, insisted he
*needed* a company car, even though no one else in the company had one.
He got a leased Jaguar (big one). In the first year he blew out the
engine (they are not cheap, and typically not covered under
warranties) - consulting company paid to replace it. Time goes on, he
gets canned, the car has to be towed from his house, he blew out a
*second* engine!

Ken

n2vip at yahoo.com
n2vip at mac.com