[geeks] keyboard recommendation

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Sat Apr 27 11:30:56 CDT 2002

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 10:47:16PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> I like my Model M.  Except for in Netscape, everything's where it should
> be.  I have $bigKeyNextToEquals mapped/stty-ed to be rubout/erase/whatever
> on everything network wide, so I don't have to deal with backspace versus
> delete, except for when a new machine arrives.

by Model M you are talking about the "Clikey" kayboards yes?  i love those
things.  i definitely need to pick up a few.

i don't base my requirements around netspace/mozilla since i use it so
infrequently that it's not a concern.

> I used to use a split-keyboard.  My wrists hurt a lot less when I moved to
> it from a mushy generic keyboard.  Now that I use a Model M, they don't
> hurt at all.  The force necessary to do a proper keystroke, combined with
> the tactile feedback has improved my typing posture, I think.

hmmm.  i'd be willing to try both, so, hmmmm.

> The (un)fortunate side-effect is that mush-keyboards die quickly around
> me.  Then again, I learned to type on a manual typewriter, so a lot of
> that may not be due to the Model M.

i have yet to kill a keyboard, so i probably don't slam it too hard.

> I've seen lots of weird things in keyboards.  About two years ago on
> Slashdot, there was a story about a guy who sliced a keyboard in half,
> mounted each half below his seat, so he could type just be relaxing his
> arms at his sides.

hmm, that's not a bad idea. ;)

> There are also all those strange keyboards designed to reduce key-travel
> distance (by making "bowls" out of each half of the keyboard).

i've seen those, are they worth it?  anyone know?

> I'd recommend you try an old rugged IBM Model M for a little while.
> xmodmap is your friend, and it might be what you need.  If not, well, it's
> "I told you so" time, and I'm out of suggestions.

i'll definitely get a Model M, since if it's what i think you are talking
about, i know i love them.  as far as xmodmap, i wasn't talking about that
as much as i was physical layout.  i hate backspace on the top row, etc...

> What I'd really like is one of the newer Model M remakes with the built-in
> trackpoint.  That way, I wouldn't have to remove my hands from the
> keyboard unless I were doing something vaguely artistic.

especially with follow to focus.  hmm, that would rule.

-brian
--
"He's hopped up on caffeine. He has the strength of ten mice."  -PVP