[geeks] keyboard recommendation

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Fri Apr 26 23:16:01 CDT 2002

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> I'd recommend you try an old rugged IBM Model M for a little while.
> xmodmap is your friend, and it might be what you need.  If not, well, it's
> "I told you so" time, and I'm out of suggestions.

Funny. The keyboard I have been using for eight years now is a Model M and
I never knew it. I've got 3/8" bone spurs on my wrists, but I can still
type.

My other keyboard my father had since older times -- it's been around
since the XT and still types just fine. It's been dropped about a dozen
times and hasn't broken yet. My first (original) Model M (that came with
my father's PS/2 Model 70 [purchased new for $3K, when they were selling
for $7k-$10K]), lasted until I accidentally gave it a bath. I still have
it, I think. I've bought two replacement keyboards as well so I never run
out. Not bad at all.