"this economy" (was Re: [geeks] Ultra 2)

Mike Hebel nimitz at owc.net
Fri Apr 26 23:22:18 CDT 2002

>> KH> Holy Moses in a chicken bucket!  Talk about RAPE!!!
>>
>> Unfortunately Kurt that's what the going rate is for a lot of people
>> these days regardless of skills/experience.
>>

KH> That's totally fucking wrong.  I don't care what the excuse is.  What
KH> the fuck is WRONG with companies?  You don't just go and take ADVANTAGE
KH> of people like that.

This gets into the whole Corporation->vs<-People rant.  It sucks but
the idea that we're all so much corporate fodder is becoming more and
more prevalent.  We're slipping back in time to the point before we
had unions - at least from my perspective.
<flamebait>Ken Hansen would tell me I'm just being broadly
paranoid.</flamebait>  I personally think things are worse than they
appear.

KH> This practice can only breed a whole new level of resentment, and can't
KH> endeer your employees to you.  At those rates, a lot of poeple would
KH> have to get two full-time jobs just to get salaries of two years ago!

Or become independent somehow and live off less money - the route I'm
trying to pursue.

KH> Shit!  Maybe I got lucky - even in the worst of the dot-bombing I
KH> managed to get offers over and above my previous salary - even after
KH> being laid off for a few months...

I'd say you were exceedingly lucky.

Mike Hebel                        mailto:nimitz at owc.net