"this economy" (was Re: [geeks] Ultra 2)

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Fri Apr 26 23:38:11 CDT 2002

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> Shit!  Maybe I got lucky - even in the worst of the dot-bombing I
> managed to get offers over and above my previous salary - even after
> being laid off for a few months...

I got a *few* thousand a year more for my new job, but...

 ... it's an entry-level job, whereas before I was The Unix Guy for a
     small company[0].
 ... it doesn't look like they will pay for relocation, so that's not a
     very high priority.
 ... it's very corporate. Dress code is insane. http://catonic.net/dress

I'm wondering if my long hair is considered "extreme". It's certainly not
to me -- I'm quite used to any form of dress, hair color, piercings, etc.
That and all of these sold-out hippies running around living thier second
childhoods with everything they had before -- except the hair.

Please note, I do have long hair, but at the time I decided to grow it
out, most of the UN*X admins had long hair. That and Metallica still had
long hair. So I'm a headbanger, not a hippy. 8-)

Also, I don't understand dress codes. The requirements for men don't
parallel the freedom that women have in choosing dress. It's "do this
this way OR ELSE."

I'm beginning to have second thoughts on this job. Conslutting would have
been better, but no health insurance. And bad hours.

[0]: Which technically means I was the CTO, but I don't advertise that
     fact.