"this economy" (was Re: [geeks] Ultra 2)

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri Apr 26 23:04:12 CDT 2002

Mike Hebel wrote:

> >> Just as an example, I've been seeing senior UNIX or full system+network
> >> admin positoions with requested 5+ years experience with a salary on offer
> >> of 35k. I made more than that in my first junior admin job. That's the
>
> KH> Holy Moses in a chicken bucket!  Talk about RAPE!!!
>
> Unfortunately Kurt that's what the going rate is for a lot of people
> these days regardless of skills/experience.

That's totally fucking wrong.  I don't care what the excuse is.  What
the fuck is WRONG with companies?  You don't just go and take ADVANTAGE
of people like that.

This practice can only breed a whole new level of resentment, and can't
endeer your employees to you.  At those rates, a lot of poeple would
have to get two full-time jobs just to get salaries of two years ago!

Shit!  Maybe I got lucky - even in the worst of the dot-bombing I
managed to get offers over and above my previous salary - even after
being laid off for a few months...
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com