Dog Poop (was: Re: [geeks] aw yeah.)

dave at cca.org dave at cca.org
Fri Apr 26 21:23:03 CDT 2002

insane at oneinsane.net writes:

>    >> Dogs off leash: They run up to you, and the owner yells, "It's OK,
>    >> they're friendly." To which I respond, "Fine, but ours aren't!"

>    Kurt> (I assume the worst with pitbulls)

>Why do you assume the worst. Do not get me wrong with any dog no matter the
>breed you should be on your guard but the worst just because it is a pitbull
>is absurd. Also a good portion of the bad/mean dogs out there is not the dogs
>fault. It is the asshole who owns it and made it that way with god knows what
>kinda bad handling / training the owner did to make the dog that way.

>Sorry I am a proud pitbull owner and the statement that you made makes it
>harder for us proud/proper owners of American Pitbull Terriers that these dogs
>make great family pets.

Mankind has been breeding dogs for particular purposes for tens of
thousands of years. We created breeds that have particular tendencies.
Shepherds shepherd other animals. Etc.

Pitbulls attack. That's what we bred them for.  That's why they exist.

It is *possible* to take a dog that was bred for one purpose, and
train it for something else.

You could also take a dog that *wasn't* bred to fight and keep
that.

I don't think people should keep pitbulls. (I'm a Libertarian,
so I don't think it should be illegal. But I don't think you
should do it.) I think it's equivalent to keeping venemous snakes.
Sure, lots of people keep them and enjoy them as pets, and don't
get hurt, but... why not just pick a pet that isn't inherently a
killer?

(If you don't think pitbulls are inherently killers, then please
explain the origins of the breed.)

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
-------- "I prefer the ridiculous to the sublime." - James Chance ---------