[geeks] Inventories and Wish Lists (again)

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Tue Apr 23 20:42:09 CDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 06:58:56PM +0100, Chris Byrne wrote:
> Well since we've all been talking about what kind of hardware (IBM this
> time) we have, and we want I think it's time to update those inventories and
> wish lists again.

sure, i haven't done this in a while i don't think either.

> So my current computing inventory looks like this

ok, so here i sit at:

SGI Octane, 250Mhz/1MB R10K, 512MB RAM, 3xSI video

soon i will have the ability to sit in from of:

SGI Rackmount Onyx, 20x195Mhz/1MB R10K, 4GB RAM, RE2 w/4 RM4

as servers i have:

sparc20, 2x75Mhx SM71, 512MB RAM, 2G and 9G disk internal, hooked to an SSA
  that will soon have 30x4.5GB drives.
sparc20, 150Mhz HyperSPARC, 384MB RAM, 2GB disk
sparc5, 70Mhz, 128MB RAM, 2x2GB disks
Ultra1, 170Mhz, 2x4GB (mirrored) disks
sparc10, 2xSM61, 128MB RAM, 2x4G disks
sparc2, 75Mhz PowerUP, 96MB RAM, 2x4GB disks
RS/6000 591, 77Mhz POWER2, 512MB RAM, 2x4GB disks (has SSA adapter, but i have
  no SSA shelves)

that's all that's currently running at the moment.   got lots more to work on,
but i need to arrange the computer room first, still haven't uncluttered it from
moving.

the following list is of working but just not running, or needs work, or not
even in the same state with me:

CPUless and RAMless Challenge XL (it's all in the Onyx)
PDP-11/34a, 128K ram (i think), 2xRL02, 2xRM05, Cypher 9-track drive
VAX 6000-560, unknown ram, don't know what i'm doing for disks yet.
VAX 6000-460, same as above, both have CI
SA600 with bunch of RA90 disks.  might use this, not sure though.  it's much
  more tempting to hang a string of 9G disks off of the HSJ30 though which
  would really get me the most MB per KiloWattHour ratio. ;)
VAX 4000-600, 512MB, CI, FDDI, i'm thinking of hanging a bunch of DSSI disks in
  this thing and doing a shadow volume of the HSJ30 so that the other 4000
  machines can use this one as their fileserver and not have to route through
  the /600 or one of the 6000s to get to the HSJ30.  do a DSSI based cluster.
  hell yeah, that would rock.
VAX 4000-500, 128MB RAM, random DSSI disks
VAX 4000-400, 128MB RAM, random DSSI disks
VAX 4000-300, 64MB RAM, random DSSI disks
VAX 4000-300, 32MB RAM, random DSSI disks (three machines total)
VAX 3542, need to get a monitor that works on this beast.
PDP-11/83, 4MB RAM, 2x2GB SCSI disks hung off of a CMD controller
VAX 3100/76, unknown ram, 200MB SCSI disk
DECstation 5000/260, 120MB RAM, 4x200MB SCSI disks, FDDI
DECstation 5000/240, 120MB RAM, no disks
DECstation 5000/200, 120MB RAM, no disks
DECstation 5000/133, unknown ram, 400MB disk
DECstation 5000/125, unknown ram, 400MB disk
DEC 3000/300LX, 96MB RAM, 4GB disk
DEC 3000/700, 384MB RAM, no disks yet
PDP-11/03, 64K RAM, RL02
PDP-11/23+, 2MB RAM, 20MB MFM disk
VAX 11/750, unknown ram, no disks
HP 3000 model 48 (desk one)

that's everything cool and worth mentioning, but hardly the entire list. ;)

> So, if I had the cash (I don't but if I did) this is what I'd get

max CPUs and RAM for the Challenge, third cardcage and three IR grpahics for
the Onyx, a Cray.  i really want the C90/T3D combo not far from here, or maybe
at the very least a J90.  oh, and that quad 375Mhz POWER3 box on ebay.

oh, and the monthly income to power all these beasts.

> And on the more esoteric side I'd really love a thinking machine. Any
> thinking machine. Because I want one and they're cool. I dont think I'm
> smart enough to actually do anything useful with it. I wouldnt use it as a
> computer, more as a piece of art.

it is art.  but it's art that is POWERFUL.  you could more likely than not
find something to do with it.  i'm sure there would be plenty of people happy
to get the chance to play around on one of them.

-brian
--
"He's hopped up on caffeine. He has the strength of ten mice."  -PVP