[geeks] Okay, I relent.

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Sun Apr 21 12:01:12 CDT 2002

On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 12:13:56AM -0500, Eric Dittman wrote:
> > > You are more-or-less locked into Debian, since they all have slightly
> > > different layouts.
> > That's okay.
> One of your points in favor of Debian was that it didn't
> lock you into any distribution.

No, that it didn't lock you into any one VERSION.  Unlike - say - Redhat,
where I found it impossible to go from 6.x to 7.x.  On Debian, I can simply
dist-upgrade.  And I will, once the current testing distribution becomes
the new stable one.

> No, but they are annoying, and every time I look at Debian
> it is using a lot of old versions of software, like OpenBSD.

This is considered to be a feature, not a bug.  On my production systems,
I like to be able to trivially keep it up-to-date with bug fixes and patches
for security flaws, whilst not having the feature set change under my feet
and break everything.  And all my machines are production systems.  If they
weren't doing anything useful, they'd be turned off.

       Willing to accept a lower economic "standard of
       living" in return for higher quality of life