[geeks] Okay, I relent.

Steve Haavik shaavik at soc.lib.md.us
Sun Apr 21 09:27:56 CDT 2002

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Are they insisting on using the older versions, or has the newer versions
> just not managed to make it out of testing yet?  They are very strenous

If you run stable it can take a few months for current version of software
to make it in. If the package is actively maintained (and most are) new
versions show up in unstable pretty quick. Right now my PC at work is
getting about 200megs of updated unstable packages each day. Stable
usually only gets security updates. The testing release is supposed to be
everything that's gone a while (weeks or days I forget which) without
updates.

I've been running a couple boxes on unstable for a few years now and only
had one blowup in the last year. It was a PAM update that had a wrong path
in the config file or something like that.

I haven't had a chance to try SMP on a sparc yet though. THey only box I
have a work with more than one processor is a SS1000e and the linux kernel
doesn't (didn't when I tried it about a year ago) support SMP on that
hardware very well.

I wonder if I could load it on one of these Sunfire V880s that just came
in... My boss would freak, but we don't have anything else to do with them
right now.

Of course, I could be wrong.