[geeks] Okay, I relent.

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Sun Apr 21 14:50:17 CDT 2002

> > > That's okay.
> > One of your points in favor of Debian was that it didn't
> > lock you into any distribution.
>
> No, that it didn't lock you into any one VERSION.  Unlike - say - Redhat,
> where I found it impossible to go from 6.x to 7.x.  On Debian, I can simply
> dist-upgrade.  And I will, once the current testing distribution becomes
> the new stable one.

What's the problem with upgrading the testing distribution to
the stable version?  It works with RedHat.

> > No, but they are annoying, and every time I look at Debian
> > it is using a lot of old versions of software, like OpenBSD.
>
> This is considered to be a feature, not a bug.  On my production systems,
> I like to be able to trivially keep it up-to-date with bug fixes and patches
> for security flaws, whilst not having the feature set change under my feet
> and break everything.  And all my machines are production systems.  If they
> weren't doing anything useful, they'd be turned off.

I don't consider it to be a bug, I consider it to be inconvenient
since they are several versions out of date for some of the more
important packages (like the kernel; 2.4 is much better than 2.2).
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net