[geeks] XFree4.1 on linux and remote clients

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Apr 19 07:12:18 CDT 2002

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 10:50:17PM -0700, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-04-18 at 21:49, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > Does one have to do anything other than xhost + remote_client_ip to make it
> > work normally?  My /etc/hosts.deny file is empty, I do:
> > xhost + 192.168.0.55
> > and still the fortec++ installer can't open the remote display.  If I telnet
> > to an old redhat box I have here and set it's display env var, it also
> > complains about not being able to connect.
>
> I'd be installing OpenSSH and enabling X forwarding instead, but I'm a
> bit paranoid.

Installing OpenSSH on the Ultra1 is further down the list for something to
do after Forte is installed.  I don't know how to make x forwarding work, but
it probably can be googled I guess.  The security doesn't seem that important
while we are talking about two machines next to each other behind a nat.

--
Joshua D. Boyd