[geeks] XFree4.1 on linux and remote clients

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Fri Apr 19 09:22:17 CDT 2002

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> > I'd be installing OpenSSH and enabling X forwarding instead, but I'm a
> > bit paranoid.

> Plus you can compress the SSH X forwarding and get slightly better
> response (if your hardware can keep up).

In his case, whereas he's behind a NAT, I'd actually recommend dxpc.
Using dxpc, I actuly got the old unix notes client to be usable over
a 28.8k modem.  And I don't mean the notes communication, I mean
the X traffic.  And if you never had the misfortune to meet the notes
client, that is QUITE a feat.  Heck, I started using dxpc for LAN usage
of that client.

Very nice software, although, it isn't secure like the SSH forwarding.
(And actually takes more effort)

--Kurt