[geeks] galeon Doesn't Suck that much....

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Apr 17 17:21:35 CDT 2002

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 04:58:15PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Wednesday, April 17, 2002 at 18:22:02 (+0100), David Cantrell wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: [geeks] galeon Doesn't Suck that much....
> > > You know what Knuth says about optimisation......  (and if you don't
> > > you'd better go read up on it right quick now!  ;-)
> > Knuth has nothing against optimisation, at least not in anything I've read.
> > What he advises against is PREMATURE optimisation.  Improving the gcc code
> > generators for the various RISC architectures would not be premature
> > optimisation.  The application is mature.
> You guys (i.e. Misters Cantrell and Patschke) really need to learn to
> follow instructions.

You can take your instructions and shove 'em up your arse.  I care not one
jot for your irrelevant instructions.  If you want to be a school teacher,
the school is ---> that way.

No really, it's about three hundred yards that way.  Next to the post
office, opposite the dodgy second-hand car dealer.

>                       I didn't say read the oft-quoted quote -- I said:
> "read what Knuth says about optimisation"!

OK Mr. Know-it-all, what, in your inestimable opinion, does the good doctor
say about optimisation?  Last time I read any of his stuff, there was
nothing about "never do it, it's the root of all evil and will cause your
cat to turn purple".

> > Presumably those vendor-compiled binaries would still be using gcc-compiled
> > libraries, and would be making system calls to the gcc-compiled kernel.
> Either think again and/or go read up on native binary support in NetBSD....

So you're saying NetBSD can magically run binaries which never go anywhere
near any gcc-compiled code?  That'd be a pretty damned clever trick.

Grrr. </rant>

--
David Cantrell    |    Degenerate    |    http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

 hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H. L. Mencken