[geeks] galeon Doesn't Suck that much....

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Apr 17 15:58:15 CDT 2002

[ On Wednesday, April 17, 2002 at 18:22:02 (+0100), David Cantrell wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] galeon Doesn't Suck that much....
>
> > You know what Knuth says about optimisation......  (and if you don't
> > you'd better go read up on it right quick now!  ;-)
>
> Knuth has nothing against optimisation, at least not in anything I've read.
> What he advises against is PREMATURE optimisation.  Improving the gcc code
> generators for the various RISC architectures would not be premature
> optimisation.  The application is mature.

You guys (i.e. Misters Cantrell and Patschke) really need to learn to
follow instructions.  I didn't say read the oft-quoted quote -- I said:
"read what Knuth says about optimisation"!

I didn't re-quote that quote because it is, obviously, very misleading
when taken out of context of his whole writings.

If you can't find a good collection of Knuth papers where the whole
words of wisdom I refer to can be found try: ISBN 0-937073-81-4

> Presumably those vendor-compiled binaries would still be using gcc-compiled
> libraries, and would be making system calls to the gcc-compiled kernel.

Either think again and/or go read up on native binary support in NetBSD....

--
								Greg A. Woods