[geeks] galeon Doesn't Suck that much....

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Apr 17 19:08:38 CDT 2002

[ On Wednesday, April 17, 2002 at 23:21:35 (+0100), David Cantrell wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] galeon Doesn't Suck that much....
>
> OK Mr. Know-it-all, what, in your inestimable opinion, does the good doctor
> say about optimisation?

I've been trying to dangle this challenge out there as a carrot on a
string -- i.e. a more sophisticated kind of troll than one normally
sees.....

If you'd have really read what he's been quoted as saying, you'd have
been able to try to tell me that he wasn't the first one to say it.

A gold star to the first person who can name the original author of the
quote!!!  :-)

Here's a hint:  even the book I referenced includes an attribution to
the first person to make the same claim about the same topic.

> So you're saying NetBSD can magically run binaries which never go anywhere
> near any gcc-compiled code?

It sure can.  I've run a NetBSD/sun3 kernel on a strictly SunOS-4
user-land.  Not a full multi-user boot, mind you as the ioctl()'s didn't
all work right to get networking going and such, though rumour has it's
closer to possible these days.....

On i386 I've run code compiled on UnixWare (AT&T's "ast" kit, which
before the lawyers finally gave the go-ahead was the only way to get a
real Korn Shell running on NetBSD).

I've also run the Solaris version of Netscape on NetBSD, though I think
it was compiled with GCC (I'd be surprised if that mess of C++ would be
portable enough to compile with Sun's C++ compiler).  :-/

Of course I can also run BSD/OS and FreeBSD and Linux binaries too....

>  That'd be a pretty damned clever trick.

It's sort-of-clever but very handy syscall remapping trick, but mostly
just a lot of attention to detail.  "man compat_svr4", for example....

--
								Greg A. Woods