[geeks] galeon Doesn't Suck that much....

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Sat Apr 13 16:35:15 CDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-04-13 at 11:09, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On April 13, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > > That requires GNOME, which requires approximately half of the source code
> > > available on the world-wide-web.  Galleon is nice, but GNOME is quite
> > > evil.
> >
> > I honestly don't know how much effort it would be to gather up all the
> > required parts and build them (I've only build galeon with NetBSD
> > pkgsrc, where everything "just works" :-), but I do think you're
> > exaggerating far beyond all reason.
> >
> > For one, GNOME is far from evil -- it's much better written than
> > anything in KDE, and much smaller too.  Casual observation suggests
> > GNOME+GTK is one of the best free GUI application development
> > environments around on any system these days.
>
>   Yeah, GNOME is wonderful if you're running Linux (or maybe BSD) on a
> PeeCee.  Otherwise, just TRY to get it built.  I dare you.  To be any
> less portable it'd have to be written in C++!

Well, Sun manages to build it at least once a day.  :-)  There are some
crappy portability issues, but the next release should be a shitload
more portable, if only because it's got to ship working nicely on
Solaris.  GNOME 1.4 was as bad as it's ever gotten on portability, prior
releases were actually a little bit better.  :-(
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.