[geeks] 2:30am brainstorms

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Sat Apr 13 13:41:40 CDT 2002

On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 02:13:49PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   It wasn't a serial to IR remote control interface, though I could
> build one of those fairly easily if you'd wanna productize it.

i think that would own.  after james' comment on PS2 boot speed, i'm now not
100% sure that i will want to use the PS2 for everything.  won't know until i
get the kit when it comes out and try it.

also, the PS2 still can't double as a Tivo either, so i'm still entertaining the
option of building one out of something neat looking (SunBlade 100, I^2, etc)
so i'll need one anyway for that.

>   The article was actually about the construction of a simple but really
> cool A/V switching box with an IR receiver that responded to Sony
> remote control commands.  I'm planning on constructing a similar unit,
> but I have a few more features in mind for mine.

ok, that's neat.  you don't need some super expensive A/V switching receiver,
you can use whatever componants you want.  i like that.  i may want one of them
as well.  if i don't go with the all in one solution i'll need an A/V switcher
most likely.  although i may just buy an expensive receiver anyway since i'm
going with a Projector on a Big Wall so i should get sound to match. :)

-brian
--
"Today, put your best foot forward. If you're not sure which of your feet is
 your best foot, cut one off. Then it doesn't matter."   - www.lowbrow.com -