[geeks] I haven't gotten into this yet but I need some advice

Ethan telmnstr at 757.org
Fri Apr 12 14:01:48 CDT 2002

> Does that camera also do firewire transfer?  That could be a good solution.
> Move to digital 8 for the master tapes, then run off VHS copies to use until
> they wear out, at least for now.

Yes. On the older models, the camcorders (even the low end) could do
composite to firewire conversion, playback tapes to firewire or analog
outputs, or record video on digital8 from the analog inputs. The newer
models, Sony eliminated some of the features from the low end-- the high
end wasn't selling because the only real difference was memory
stick. People buy camcorders for video, not stills.

> High bit rate, mostly uncompressed is what is needed for getting good results
> from programs like After Effects.  That is why I want a good board that can
> do uncompressed.  For just editing, DV isn't bad.

I *TOTALLY* lucked out. Some guy had the Matrox digisuite for sale in the
network hardware newsgroup. I bought it figuring it was the digisuite
card, even after I had purchased the RT2000. Good card, good support, more
stable than the RT2000 toys... but MPEG2 is kind of out of style because
when I share stuff between the two systems, Premiere has to convert the
footage. Paiiin. Now Matrox sells them with digisuite DTV cards or
whatever, the DV/MPEG2 board (making it DV/MPG2/MJPEG native editing, on
the timeline I believe!)