[geeks] I haven't gotten into this yet but I need some advice

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Apr 12 15:56:56 CDT 2002

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 03:01:48PM -0400, Ethan wrote:
> > Does that camera also do firewire transfer?  That could be a good solution.
> > Move to digital 8 for the master tapes, then run off VHS copies to use until
> > they wear out, at least for now.
>
> Yes. On the older models, the camcorders (even the low end) could do
> composite to firewire conversion, playback tapes to firewire or analog
> outputs, or record video on digital8 from the analog inputs. The newer
> models, Sony eliminated some of the features from the low end-- the high
> end wasn't selling because the only real difference was memory
> stick. People buy camcorders for video, not stills.

The high end also has 3-ccds, but that is another argument.  When you say
older models had the analog features, do you mean that some TVR-120s have the
features and some don't, or that the TVR-120s have the features, and new
replacements with differnt model numbers dont?

>>High bit rate, mostly uncompressed is what is needed for getting good results
>>from programs like After Effects.  That is why I want a good board that can
>>do uncompressed.  For just editing, DV isn't bad.
>
> I *TOTALLY* lucked out. Some guy had the Matrox digisuite for sale in the
> network hardware newsgroup. I bought it figuring it was the digisuite
> card, even after I had purchased the RT2000. Good card, good support, more
> stable than the RT2000 toys... but MPEG2 is kind of out of style because
> when I share stuff between the two systems, Premiere has to convert the
> footage. Paiiin. Now Matrox sells them with digisuite DTV cards or
> whatever, the DV/MPEG2 board (making it DV/MPG2/MJPEG native editing, on
> the timeline I believe!)

The digisuits are supposed to be nice.  I don't think I've worked with
anything higher end than DC-30s, TARGA 2ks, and Perception PVRs.  The
school has Media 100s in the comm dept., but they are for comm majors only,
which I'm not.  They bought some other high end machine, but I forget what
it is now.  Might have been an Avid (not media composer though).  I no
longer work in that dept, and it arrive after I left.

--
Joshua D. Boyd