[geeks] I haven't gotten into this yet but I need some advice

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Fri Apr 12 17:16:14 CDT 2002

On Friday, April 12, 2002, at 03:46 PM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Kodak sells CD-Rs that they say will last 100 years.  Obviously this
> has only
> been simulated, not actually tested.
>
> If we really are talking about data for the next century or 3, then we
> really
> should probably be talking metal, stone, and paper.  Paper would be the
> most
> convienient, but care needs to be taken to use the right materials.
> Archiving
> video to paper is easy enough, although you will loose a lot of dynamic
> range.
> Just print a frame per page.  Including the audio is a bit trickier.
> Perhaps
> raw PCM in hex, but will people remeber what PCM is?  We could go the
> old
> film route and use a picture of the wave form I guess.

Speaking of which I used to have a nutty idea for storing data using a
printer... I called it the paper floppy concept... you would have a
1024x768x256 color image for 8 bit data, and if you could create more
colors you could increase the amount of data in the same space.  I
always wanted to see what my data looked like as a color map anyhow.
You could also vary how fine you could make the dots.  If someone could
photo etch on metal it would be a really robust format... or perhaps if
you could etch glass at different prismatic angles to produce a certain
number of colors per point density via laser you could do some glass
digital storage disks like CD-ROMS but of much higher capacity.

Andrew