[geeks] Big Blue Smoke

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Thu Apr 11 22:15:53 CDT 2002

> The stuff behind the web pages is still part of them, IMO.

well are you talking perl scripts? jsp? asp? static html? "web pages"
covers a whole lot of things.

> You still have to allow for them, both when coding and
> when maintaining.

"maintain" includes both code and admin. coders dont have to worry about
load balancers. thats the beauty of them.

>> that indicate any kind of hard numbers. smoke and mirrors, i tell you.
>
> I'll dig up some web pages, if you'd like.

heh! im fairly confident im right without you proving it. :-)

> Web server:  A system that serves web pages.

define "web page."

> Large Application:  An application that is big and a PITA
> to maintain because some people just have no clue how to
> document their code so you have to throw more CPU cycles
> at it until you get the time to figure out why the hell
> they did what they did in such a stupid manner and recode.

sure, a mainframe works here. so does the $210,000, 72-processor E10k on
ebay right now.

>> one of the perks of being a consultant is that "*YOUR* operation"
>> includes lots of places.
>
> So I take it you don't work at the place you've got
> pictures of on your web site?

sure, it does. and also places in california and virginia. the pictures
on my site are a year out of date. i ordered a sony dsc-p71, but its
been kind of pokey getting here. whenever it gets here ill get pictures
of our new 3000's, netras, 280r's and so on. one of the clients im
looking at right now is DISA (as in disa.mil)... whom i cant give you
pictures of. im sure i can scrounge up pictures and stories of previous
clients (one of which had a powerchallenge xl which i still have wet
dreams about)... but i digress. this isnt a dickmeasuring contest.

> I do know that we've got lots of customers asking us to
> migrate their web servers to mainframes so they can
> save money.

and "we" have lots of customers convinced that java is better than perl.
behold the can of worms. shall we discuss the difference between
marketing and reality? or just move on...

>> show me the money.
>
> Okay, if you're going to bring Cuba Gooding, Jr. into the
> picture all bets are off.

well, in the last 24 hours we've talked about my sweaty ass, the size of
bill's penis, and many other things. why not bring cuba gooding jr up
too?

alex