[geeks] Big Blue Smoke

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Thu Apr 11 21:58:50 CDT 2002

> > I guess you aren't thinking big enough.  I also guess you
>
> i dont think youre thinking small enough. httpd != big. behold the power
> of nc-httpd:
>
> cat index.html | nc -nlp 80
>
> if youre meaning "web services and applications" when you say serving
> web pages, well, thats a whole different ball of wax.

The stuff behind the web pages is still part of them, IMO.

> > don't understand mainframe architecture and how they
> > operate, since you can't seem to understand the benefits
> > you get when you use one with server consolidation.
>
> i understand how a mainframe works. i understand the concepts and hte
> priorities.
>
> > And you still can only through the power of one Netra at the
> > server without doing serious changes to your code if you need
> > more CPU or I/O on the fly.
>
> this is what load balancers and local directors and all that fancy
> network hardware is for.

You still have to allow for them, both when coding and
when maintaining.

> > I really think you ought to look at the z800 technical specs.  You
> > really out to try to understand the server consolidation market,
> > which you don't.
>
> fine. so i humored you. i dont see anywhere on ibm's site :
>
> http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/800.html
>
> that indicate any kind of hard numbers. smoke and mirrors, i tell you.

I'll dig up some web pages, if you'd like.

> > It make a good centralized web server for large applications,
>
> define "web server." define "large application."

Web server:  A system that serves web pages.

Large Application:  An application that is big and a PITA
to maintain because some people just have no clue how to
document their code so you have to throw more CPU cycles
at it until you get the time to figure out why the hell
they did what they did in such a stupid manner and recode.

> > whether you believe it or not.  I'm obviously not going to
> > change your mind, so continuing to try to make you understand
>
> nor correct my grammar :p

Hey, I told you I'd rather spend the time reading what you
say than try to correct your sentence formatting.  :-)

> > I guess you just don't think big.  Just because the z800
> > isn't good for *YOUR* operation doesn't meant it isn't
> > good for any.
>
> one of the perks of being a consultant is that "*YOUR* operation"
> includes lots of places.

So I take it you don't work at the place you've got
pictures of on your web site?

I do know that we've got lots of customers asking us to
migrate their web servers to mainframes so they can
save money.

> > Like I said before, read the z800 technical documentation.
> > Also read some case studies on server consolidation.
>
> show me the money.

Okay, if you're going to bring Cuba Gooding, Jr. into the
picture all bets are off.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net