[geeks] Big Blue Smoke

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Thu Apr 11 22:37:54 CDT 2002

> > The stuff behind the web pages is still part of them, IMO.
>
> well are you talking perl scripts? jsp? asp? static html? "web pages"
> covers a whole lot of things.

I'm talking about everything needed to get the page presented
to the requester.

> > You still have to allow for them, both when coding and
> > when maintaining.
>
> "maintain" includes both code and admin. coders dont have to worry about
> load balancers. thats the beauty of them.

If the code is written so it can't thread across multiple
systems, and you need more CPU than one system has, then
the load balancer won't help.

> >> that indicate any kind of hard numbers. smoke and mirrors, i tell you.
> >
> > I'll dig up some web pages, if you'd like.
>
> heh! im fairly confident im right without you proving it. :-)

Oh, yeah!?  (There, that's telling you.  Let's see you
come up with a response to that!)

> > Web server:  A system that serves web pages.
>
> define "web page."

The page the requester sees.

> > Large Application:  An application that is big and a PITA
> > to maintain because some people just have no clue how to
> > document their code so you have to throw more CPU cycles
> > at it until you get the time to figure out why the hell
> > they did what they did in such a stupid manner and recode.
>
> sure, a mainframe works here. so does the $210,000, 72-processor E10k on
> ebay right now.

Sorry, my other rant got in the way.

> >> one of the perks of being a consultant is that "*YOUR* operation"
> >> includes lots of places.
> >
> > So I take it you don't work at the place you've got
> > pictures of on your web site?
>
> sure, it does. and also places in california and virginia. the pictures
> on my site are a year out of date. i ordered a sony dsc-p71, but its
> been kind of pokey getting here. whenever it gets here ill get pictures
> of our new 3000's, netras, 280r's and so on. one of the clients im
> looking at right now is DISA (as in disa.mil)... whom i cant give you
> pictures of. im sure i can scrounge up pictures and stories of previous
> clients (one of which had a powerchallenge xl which i still have wet
> dreams about)... but i digress. this isnt a dickmeasuring contest.

No, but seeing pictures of data centers is interesting.
We've got some high-security clients, too, so I understand
not being able to see pictures of those systems.

> > I do know that we've got lots of customers asking us to
> > migrate their web servers to mainframes so they can
> > save money.
>
> and "we" have lots of customers convinced that java is better than perl.
> behold the can of worms. shall we discuss the difference between
> marketing and reality? or just move on...

If they've got data to back up the request, then there's
a reason they are asking.  If they've got money to back up
the request, that's even better.

> >> show me the money.
> >
> > Okay, if you're going to bring Cuba Gooding, Jr. into the
> > picture all bets are off.
>
> well, in the last 24 hours we've talked about my sweaty ass, the size of
> bill's penis, and many other things. why not bring cuba gooding jr up
> too?

Because I've only ever seen two movies he was in, and
one of them was really stupid (something about hauling
an explosive or nerve agent or something in an ice cream
truck).

When I'm out of town on business over a weekend there
are never any good movies on whatever movie channnel
the hotel carries.  Since I'm going to be stuck in
Philadelphia next weekend I'm sure I'll get to watch
some other stupid movie.

I was so bored one weekend out of town I watched
"Titanic".  I was hoping Billy Zane's character
would kill that Leonardo shithead, but at least
he became a popsickle.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net