[geeks] Big Blue Smoke

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Thu Apr 11 21:38:50 CDT 2002

> I guess you aren't thinking big enough.  I also guess you

i dont think youre thinking small enough. httpd != big. behold the power
of nc-httpd:

cat index.html | nc -nlp 80

if youre meaning "web services and applications" when you say serving
web pages, well, thats a whole different ball of wax.

> don't understand mainframe architecture and how they
> operate, since you can't seem to understand the benefits
> you get when you use one with server consolidation.

i understand how a mainframe works. i understand the concepts and hte
priorities.

> And you still can only through the power of one Netra at the
> server without doing serious changes to your code if you need
> more CPU or I/O on the fly.

this is what load balancers and local directors and all that fancy
network hardware is for.

> I really think you ought to look at the z800 technical specs.  You
> really out to try to understand the server consolidation market,
> which you don't.

fine. so i humored you. i dont see anywhere on ibm's site :

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/800.html

that indicate any kind of hard numbers. smoke and mirrors, i tell you.

> It make a good centralized web server for large applications,

define "web server." define "large application."

> whether you believe it or not.  I'm obviously not going to
> change your mind, so continuing to try to make you understand

nor correct my grammar :p

> I guess you just don't think big.  Just because the z800
> isn't good for *YOUR* operation doesn't meant it isn't
> good for any.

one of the perks of being a consultant is that "*YOUR* operation"
includes lots of places.

> Like I said before, read the z800 technical documentation.
> Also read some case studies on server consolidation.

show me the money.

alex