[geeks] perlish disgruntlement, java considered, sun hardware sought

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Sun Apr 7 20:14:50 CDT 2002

> There's a difference between "quick and dirty script that does the
> job" and "finely-tuned efficient production-quality code".

quick and dirty is dirty. dont blame perl.

> 1.  This isnt C, and I'm not in college; that was oh, almost 10 years
>     ago now.

you miss the point. anything worth doing is worth doing well. if that
werent the case we'd all be mindless windows using idiots.

> 2.  Some of the things I do here, they dont care if its pretty,
> readable,
>     efficient, they just want $x results by "FIVE PM TODAY!".  In that
>     case, I throw stuff together [1], make it work, get the "atta boy"
> and
>     pat on the back, then go back *later* to optimize/tweak it. [2]

yep. thats when i tell $boss, "well, im sorry, it wont get done. there's
nothing i can do about that." when somebody asks you how long something
will take the answer is *always* "let me get back to you on that," so
you have enough time to make an accurate estimate on how long it will
take to do *right*. when $boss says "how much disk do we need?" and you
need to formulate an answer, do you say "oh, well, i figure we have
500gb of data, we need 500gb of storage" or do you in fact think "gee,
we'll be up turd creek without room to move around in" and give a more
reasonable, professional answer?

>> if youre not writing code that is *fit* to be passed from person to
>> person, you shouldnt be writing code. this is one of the main ideas
>> behind java. see rest of previous rant.
>
> I hate java.  Period.  Stuff like LimeWire is nice, but I've seen

sounds to me like you hate web. join the club.

> REALLY HORRIBLE 'web server backends', etc, that just slow big
> multi-CPU SPARC boxes to a CRAWL...

also sounds to me like youve met the same bad programmers i have.
programming doesnt have to be quick and dirty.

> I dont intend on learning Java.
>
> Bill

hey where's my 1 and 2 footnote?

alex