[geeks] perlish disgruntlement, java considered, sun hardware sought

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Apr 7 20:03:52 CDT 2002

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 08:53:46PM -0400, alex j avriette wrote:
> $output = `rsh username hostname command args`;
> ($onevar, $twovar) = split(' ',$output);
> i'm sure you find that very readable. i find it hideous and abhorrent.

There's a difference between "quick and dirty script that does the
job" and "finely-tuned efficient production-quality code".

> your c professor would fail you for making system calls in code.

1.  This isnt C, and I'm not in college; that was oh, almost 10 years
    ago now.
2.  Some of the things I do here, they dont care if its pretty, readable,
    efficient, they just want $x results by "FIVE PM TODAY!".  In that
    case, I throw stuff together [1], make it work, get the "atta boy" and
    pat on the back, then go back *later* to optimize/tweak it. [2]

> if youre not writing code that is *fit* to be passed from person to
> person, you shouldnt be writing code. this is one of the main ideas
> behind java. see rest of previous rant.

I hate java.  Period.  Stuff like LimeWire is nice, but I've seen
REALLY HORRIBLE 'web server backends', etc, that just slow big
multi-CPU SPARC boxes to a CRAWL...

I dont intend on learning Java.

Bill

--