[geeks] perlish disgruntlement, java considered, sun hardware sought

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Sun Apr 7 19:28:49 CDT 2002

> The problem with Perl is the people who use the "compress 10 lines of
> code
>  down into 3 lines of line noise" theory.  It makes it hard as fuck to
>  read other people's code when they do this and you're just learning.

No, Bill. I hate to call you on this, but youre flat wrong. There are
professional programmers whose job it is to read perl. The problem with
perl is people who write ten thousand lines of code instead of 800, and
comment out half of them because "they dont work." They also dont use
strict, warnings, diagnostics, modules, or anything. Every perl script
you come across is a new incomprehensible mess unto itself.

There are better ways to do things, but somehow, in perl, its acceptable
to suck ass because its not "real programming", its "scripting."

alex

--
alex j avriette, perl hacker
avriettea at speakeasy.net