[geeks] perlish disgruntlement, java considered, sun hardware sought

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Apr 7 19:39:56 CDT 2002

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 08:28:49PM -0400, alex j avriette wrote:
> No, Bill. I hate to call you on this, but youre flat wrong.

Wrong, in that people that use the "shortcuts" make it harder to
learn Perl by reading other people's code?  What kind of crack are you
smoking?

> There are professional programmers whose job it is to read perl.

People need to learn that not everything has to be an Obsfucated Perl
Contest entry.  Seriously, I've seen stuff that looked like line noise
or TECO macros, and it was IMPOSSIBLE to understand from a
beginning-perl-programmer point of view.

> There are better ways to do things, but somehow, in perl, its acceptable
> to suck ass because its not "real programming", its "scripting."

If you need a program, write one that works and does the job you need,
who cares how many lines it is?  I can see this being a problem in a
production environment where code might get passed from person to person,
but Perl is okay for "quick and dirty" jobs.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net