[geeks] Tax Weirdness

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri Apr 5 19:52:28 CST 2002

> I just assumed that they're as honest and as much fun to work with as any
> other government organization.  I have bad memories of government
> contracting (NCSE), and everytime I've dealt with OSHA, the VA, the DOEd
> or -any- Texas gov't organization or -any- county[1] organization, I've
> been left with the feeling that I'd just wasted five hours of my life
> dealing with moronic maggots who see me as their one shot at a sadistic
> ego-trip.

The City of Warwick (in RI) just sent me letter telling me that I owe
the City Water Authority $4700 for the priviledge of having a new sewer
system installed in front of my house.

I wasn't asked if I wanted it.
I wasn't offered a chance to vote on it.
I'm not allowed to decline use.
I can contest, but I still have to pay.
If I don't pay, they put a lien on my house.

When I called to register a complaint, Cith Hall and the Water Authority
treated me as if I was a third class citizen for insisting that my
septic system was more than sufficient for my home.

No, apparently the City of Warwick knows what's best for me.  Thay also
feel perfectly justified in their extortionary practices.  Nothing I can
do about it.

They'll let me pay over the next 20 years for it - but charge me 8% per
annum.  I can't sell my house until the current year is paid in full.
After I sell it, the new owner get's to be raped, regardless of wether
the sewer line is connected to the house.

Cost to hook in?  Latest quote was $5000 from the local thieves.  No I'm
not allowed to try and reduce the costs by digging the trench, buying
the pipe, etc.

I'm going to be paying a lot of money, any way I look at it.

--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com