[geeks] Tax Weirdness

Amy scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net
Fri Apr 5 17:18:23 CST 2002

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> > I just assumed that they're as honest and as much fun to work with as any
> > other government organization.  I have bad memories of government
> > contracting (NCSE), and everytime I've dealt with OSHA, the VA, the DOEd
> > or -any- Texas gov't organization or -any- county[1] organization, I've
> > been left with the feeling that I'd just wasted five hours of my life
> > dealing with moronic maggots who see me as their one shot at a sadistic
> > ego-trip.
> >

> The City of Warwick (in RI) just sent me letter telling me that I owe
> the City Water Authority $4700 for the priviledge of having a new sewer
> system installed in front of my house.
>
> I wasn't asked if I wanted it.
> I wasn't offered a chance to vote on it.
> I'm not allowed to decline use.
> I can contest, but I still have to pay.
> If I don't pay, they put a lien on my house.

ew. they did that in my old hometown. they managed to lower the price of
the sewer connection to 1800, but to compensate for their loss they tacked
on a 200% of total bill sewer tax 'until further notice'. my parents
started getting 2-300 dollar water bills (in the home county of TVA,
water water everywhere!).

--a