[geeks] New hardware aquisition...

Chris Petersen havoc at apk.net
Fri Apr 5 07:45:07 CST 2002

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 11:33:07PM -0800, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > > On the way home tonight I picked up a Gamo Hunter 220 pelet rifle in
> > > .177 caliber.  I wanted a .22 caliber, but this thing launches .177
> >

> > Tested it on salesdrones yet?
>
> Believe it or not, I bought this partly because of a phone call with my
> "Account Representative" at Exodus.  I swear this guy is incapable of
> independent or creative thought.  Am I the only one that thinks billing
> customers 3 months in advance for services, than calling unpaid balances
> (of that pre-billed amount) past due, then refusing to let you remove
> equipment because your account is "overdue" just fucking beyond all
> realms of common sense?
>
> Interesting discussion, it was...
>
> For this, and a multitude of other idiocy on their part, I'm pulling my
> account from Exodus.  They can figure out what to do with the NetApp,
> the F5s, and a couple racks of commoddity PeeCee crap.  I wanted to move
> to v100 servers anyways.  Fuck 'em.
>
> Then Karin calls me and tells me that the neighborhood squirrells have
> uprooted the flowers I planted in the front landscape beds, and have dug
> burrows in the back yard.

Ah ha, I wondered if there was some squirrel motivation involved in this
acquistion...My wife too has been far to bothered by squirrels this year to
maintain a happy marriage at home without some sort of firearm acquisition
soon :)

I've never been the type to hunt, though I do enjoy firing off some rounds
out of my buddy's extensive firearm collection @ the local range.  But the
squirrel situation has gotten so out of hand I'm thinking drastic measures.
I keep telling Matt that he needs to get the .50 Barrett he's been talking
about for a few years now :)

Seriously, since Matt's my friendly neighborhood gun nut (and a hell of a
network admin), he's been working on setting me up for *discreet* squirrel
removal (I live in paranoid suburbia here...).  Last suggestion I heard from
him was something regarding a .22 and plastic rounds that are supposed to be
quieter than an pellet rifle...

> It was enough to push me over the edge.
>
> Yes, I'll be the one in the clocktower...

You know, we always felt cheated back in college because we didn't have a
clocktower, just some lame belltower that you could barely climb & dangle
from.  On the other hand, the administration building conveniently had a
nice open atrium with easily accessible hatches that would allow a good
coverage of all the pertinent offices...Student Affairs, Offices of Provost
& President, etc.  All but the one we really wanted to hurt the most,
Financial Aid...

Chris

Chris Petersen			  E-mail: havoc at apk.net
Systems Engineer, ExperTeam Services, EDS PLM Solutions