[geeks] Was: [rescue] damn you bill, now i'm a lowbrow fantoo

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Wed Apr 3 18:38:06 CST 2002

I dont care for Glocks either, mostly because I prefer the option to cary
condition one , and prefer single or single/double action automatics in
general. I've never like the safe-action trigger system, and I think the
glock imitators (most notably S&W with the Sigma line) are even worse.
Theres no feel to the things at all.

All that being said I have seen a Glock reliability demonstration. They
submerged the thing in salt water for 60 days, still fired 500 rounds
flawlessly. Frozen in a block of ice, thawed out with a blowtorch. Same
thing. Buried in river mud, same thing. Peanut butter, sand, whatever they
did to it, it would still run through 500 rounds without a jam.

Then the guy did something interesting. He showed us how to make jsut about
any Glock jam just about every time. He loosened and shifted his grip just a
bit then turned the gun about 60 degrees. It stovepiped every single time.
It literally would not fire without a failure to eject. Click rack bang jam
click rack bang jam.

THe reason  he gave was that the polymer frame absorbs much of the recoil
impulse in line with the barrel. Thatforce is required to properly eject. If
you dont provide adequate bracing of the gun your wrist acts like a floppy
spring removing evn more of the recoil impulse and adding an eccentric
vector as well. It slows the ejecting casing down enough, and changes the
trajectory enough that it smacks the breechface as the slide rushes forward
into battery and it stovepipes. Just about every time, just like that.

On the other issue I dont agree with Glock's tactics but they are consistent
and they have a reason. A few years ago someone was making a very shitty
glock-a-like in asia somewhere with a sound-a-like name (I think it was glok
of clock I forget which). The Glock company didnt do anything about it until
one of the things found it's way to the US. They of course immediately went
to court and managed to get the thing squashed, but they were very strongly
advised that they needed to more rigorously enforce their trademarks or they
mayt lose the right to do so.

This was tested later that year when they tried to stop the company that
makes Air-Soft plastic pellet guns, and Daisy Gamo form both makling Glock
lookalike guns. They had alreayd been manufacturing them for several years
and the courts ruleds that Glock couldnt stop them now. So now they jump on
ANY possible trademark or look-and-feel issue like rabid wolverines.

Oh and I wear a size 13 ring, and 3 or 4 xl gloves, so single or double
stack they're all relativley small in my hand. The only handgun I've ever
had a problem with grip size on was the .50ae desert eagle. I'm convinced
it's not actually a gun, it's a sex toy for action movie fanatics. I love
watching someone Like cynthia rothrock (5'3", hundred and nuthin, ring size
4) shoot a deagle on screen. The grip they have on the thing if they used
full power loads they'd break their thumbs and the weapon would go flying
across the room.

My only personal firearm at this point is a stainless wilson combat 1911
with full length guide rod,shock-buff, extended beavertail with memory
grooves, cut down but lengthened ambi safety, long sekletonized trigger,
spead sear and spring set, beveled mag well, checkered front strap and
mainspring housing, pachmayer stocks and millet clickadjusts with tritium
inserts. I love it. It shoots better than I do. My groups average 1.75" five
shot from 25 yards, and the best I've shot was a .75" 10 shot group (one
really big ragged hole basically) with some really great custom handloaded
stuff.

Chris Byrne