[geeks] argh

Tim Harrison geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 30 10:58:34 CDT 2001

joshua d boyd wrote:

> The symbol chokes was disappointing on the TD-5 (yes, using the dual pad
> purchased seperately).  Rimshots are rather nice.  Overall, a bit too
> limited in how many pads can be connected though.  That alone would be a
> good reason to go to the TD-7.

I didn't realize that the TD-5 actually had the capability of doing
cymbal chokes. :/  I need to go re-read my manual. :)

> I really want to get a new keyboard.  I gave up the keyboard numerous
> years ago because the one I had broke, and getting a decent guitar was
> cheaper than a new keyboard, so I switched.  But, I really want to get
> back into keyboard again man.

Yeah, I need something that will produce sounds other than distorted
guitar and bass.  However, convincing someone (wife) that I should buy a
new keyboard is close to impossible. :)

> As to software, there is an 8track version of Protools for free.  If I can
> wrangle up most space, I'm likely to set it up on an old Windows machines.

I looked at a full Pro Tools setup, and it's officially friggin'
expensive.

> I believe some exists.  A edition of Linux Journal was talking about
> audio, and mentioned a multi-track program that was originally an academic
> project written on SGIs, then later ported to linux.  It looked ugly, but
> useable.  Never tried it though.

I'll probably end up just doing my recording with my friend's Mac and
D.P.  He's officially asked me to join his project, so I'll probably put
down some final tracks of my own on his gear, and then move on to
getting his singles out, and then releasing the CD.  I went from musical
blackhole-ism to inundation in one weekend.

> I tried writing my own software once, but syncronization is a pain.  I
> just was trying to do something simple like that old Turtle Beach quad
> track product, but ended up giving up.  Might someday resurrect that
> project though, because I really want to figure out that whole sync issue.

I have enough trouble getting away from digital audio and into MIDI. :)
I've always been an analogue kind of guy.  Now, with all this nifty
computer stuff, I'm finding it a little cold and sterile.  However,
immediate editing is cool. :)

--

Tim Harrison
Network Engineer